From the Brown County history site: "Here at this NE corner of Baker and Center, was an Opera House located in the second floor of the then Bernet Building. It was a two story stone building about fifty feet wide. The Brownwood National Bank later took over this corner and built this five-story bank building there in 1910. This was the first tall building in the city and had the first elevator and indoor toilets. The bank later became the First National Bank at Brownwood in 1921. On July 30, 1960, the bank moved across the street to what is now known as Bank of America."
Today Center Avenue is part of the Downtown Brownwood Beautification Project.
All original content copyright © 2005, All Rights Reserved