The post office was established in 1856. It was made the county seat of Brown County in 1857 and incorporated in 1878.
According to an article in the Texas Observer in September 2001,
"There was the fight over the new Post Office last year. To make room
for it, the city wanted to tear down historic buildings across the
street from the deli. Harris and others protested and the city backed
All original content copyright © 2005, All Rights Reserved